Lysol & Pine-Sol Can Be FATAL to Your Cats!
Anything ending in "sol" contains phenol which can be fatal to cats.
(Some symptoms are vomiting & diarhhea or flu-like behavior.)
In Europe, there is a warning on products that contain phenol. Phenol is also extremely FLAMABLE. Most Animal Shelters have banned Lysol & Pine-Sol.
"Cats may inadvertently walk through toxic solutions, which they later ingest when grooming. One household hazard is phenol, a highly toxic compound derived from coal tar, which is sometimes used in a dilute form in disinfectants and antiseptics (in Lysol, for instance)."
"Disinfectants containing phenols are extremely;toxic to some animals, including cats and reptiles"
" put a cat's life at risk, as can products that contain distilled coal tars, such as certain shampoos and disinfectants such as Lysol".
"As acid derivatives phenolic compounds are potentially corrosive and prolonged skin exposures can cause severe skin irritation or burns. If the animals ingest or groom material off contaminated skin they may develop irritation or burns of the mouth and tongue as well. They may therefore vomit or salivate excessively. In severe exposures such substances could be absorbed across damaged skin and cause systemic signs such as breathing difficulties, hyperthermia or even shock."
One household hazard is phenol, a highly toxic compound derived from coal tar, which is sometimes used in a dilute form in disinfectants and antiseptics (in Lysol, for instance).
"other common household substances that should be used with caution in areas where cats may be exposed to them include mothballs and other naphthalene products, as well as phenol based products often used for cleaning and disinfecting near cats' feeding areas or litter boxes, such as Pine-Sol, Dettol (Lysol), hexachlorophene, etc. which, although they are widely used without problem,
have been sometimes seen to be fatal."
"Lysol and other Phenolic disinfectants are toxic to cats"